A bit of guidance
First of all you need to ask yourself what you will use the scoota for. Think about the roads you’ll be using and the speed of the other road users.
It will help to use the guide below to narrow down your choice. Then, the best bit, you can then think about the style of scoota you like!
Maximum speeds are a guide only and are affected by load and weather conditions.
Extended and continuous operation should be around 80 to 85% of the maximum speed capability and maximum speed reserved for intermittent bursts.
50cc scootas (mopeds) are speed limited to 50km/h by law and allow car licence holders in Qld, WA, NT and SA to ride on a car licence.
Your local Scoota dealer also has a wealth of information and good advice when selecting a scoota to suit your needs.
50cc scootas are speed limited (by law) to 50km/h. Best suited for local suburban travel on 40, 50, and 60 km/h speed-limited roads and the congested inner city

125cc-150cc scootas are best suited for local travel, continuous travel on 80km/h roads and brief commutes on 100km/h speed-limited roads

200cc scootas are best suited for local travel and continuous travel on 100km/h roads and brief commutes on 110km/h speed-limited roads

250cc scootas are best suited for local travel and continuous travel on 110km/h roads

Over 250cc scootas are best suited for local travel and continuous travel on 110km/h roads. Extra power provides more relaxed highway riding an overtaking abilities

You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner rider licence.  However, you may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.

The pre-learner course is held over two days (3.5 hours each day). Motorcycles, helmets, gloves and tuition are provided at the training centre. the course is designed for people with no motorcycle riding experience.
To get a learner rider licence, go to your nearest motor registry and:
  • Take your Pre-learner Certificate of Competence.
  • Take Proof of Identity documents.
  • Complete an application form.
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Pass the rider knowledge test. A fee is applicable and a booking may be required (bookings for a knowledge test can now be made from the myTests section of the website or by phoning the RTA on 13 22 13).
  • Pay the licence fee.
You will then be issued with a learner rider licence, valid for 12 months.

Motorcycle learner riders must:
  • Clearly display a black-on-yellow L plate at the rear of the motorcycle when riding. The letter L on the plate must not be hidden.
  • Not ride faster than 80km/h and must observe the speed limit where it is below 80km/h.
  • Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (this means you cannot drink before riding). It is also illegal to ride under the influence of drugs.
  • Not carry passengers on a motorcycle.
  • Not ride motorcycles with an engine capacity over 660ml and a power-to-weight ratio over 150kw/tonne and has not been approved by the RTA
  • Wear an approved motorcycle helmet that has been properly fitted.
You must hold the learner licence for a minimum period of three months before you can attend the pre-provisional course.


The first step you need to take before learning to ride a motorbike (class RE) is to obtain a learner licence for that class of vehicle. To be eligible to apply for a motorbike learner licence you must have held a provisional or open licence of another class for at least one year within the last five years.
To apply for a motorbike learner licence you must:
• be at least 18 year
  • have held a provisional or open licence of another class for at least one year in the last five years
  • complete the Driver Licence Application/Renewal form F3000
  • show suitable evidence of identity and Queensland residency documents
  • pass an eyesight test, if required
  • declare that you are medically fit to learn to drive the class of motor vehicle. Note: If you have a medical condition that might affect your ability to drive or ride safely, you will be required to give a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are medically fit to drive or ride safely)
  • pay the written road rules test fee and pass the test
  • pay the required learner licence fee. Note: Payment is only required if renewing at the same time otherwise a label will be placed on the back of your licence.
Motorcycle learner riders must:
  • clearly display an L plate on the rear of the motorbike that you are learning to ride.
  • keep your learner licence with you at all times when you are learning to ride and show it to a police officer when asked to do so
  • obey any conditions stated on your learner licence
  • only learn to ride on a learner approved motorbike (LAM)
  • comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) if you are under 25 years and the general alcohol limit (below 0.05) if you are 25 years or over
  • not drive under the influence of drugs
  • only be supervised by a person who holds, and has held, an open licence for the class of motorbike you are learning to ride, for at least one year
  • not carry your supervisor as a pillion passenger on the motorbike. You may only carry a suitably licensed supervisor seated in the sidecar attached to the motorbike


Motorcycle learner permit allows you to learn to ride on the road under certain restrictions and conditions. The permit is valid for 15 months or until you obtain a motorcycle licence. If you do not obtain a motorcycle licence before your learner permit expires, you will need to be retested to have another learner permit issued.
You must be at least 18 years of age and a Victorian resident to apply for a motorcycle learner permit.
To obtain a motorcycle learner permit you will need to pass the following tests:
  • eyesight test
  • motorcycle knowledge test
  • learner permit road law knowledge test (not required if you already have a car learner permit)
  • motorcycle learner permit skill assessment (a practical ride)
You must hold a learner permit continuously for at least three months in the period immediately prior to applying for a motorcycle licence, or undertake a motorcycle training course in which case the mandatory 3 month requirement can be waived, or provide evidence that you have previously held a motorcycle licence in Victoria, interstate or overseas.Motorcycle learner permit tests are conducted by VicRoads accredited providers. These providers also offer training courses to prepare you for these tests.

Motorcycle learner riders must:
  • wear an approved helmet while riding
  • display an L plate on the back of your motorcycle, visible from a distance of 20 metres
  • carry your learner permit at all times while riding the motorcycle
  • only ride a learner approved motorcycle for 12 months from date of issue. LAMS gives novice riders access to a range of motorcycles and scooters that are appropriate to their level of experience and size.  The LAMS list includes moderately powered models with an engine capacity up to and including 660cc which do not exceed a power-to-weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne.
  • must not carry a pillion passenger
  • must have a zero Blood Alcohol Concentration while riding


You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner rider licence.

Undertake a government approved rider training course; and if you DO NOT already hold a Driver Licence, you must also successfully complete a Road Ready Learner Licence Course, including a computerised knowledge test on the ACT Road Rules.

When you have successfully completed the Road Ready course and knowledge test you MUST be issued a Learner Car Licence (unless you hold a current Driver Licence) before booking for the Learner Rider course.
When you go to a Canberra Connect Shopfront or the Motor Vehicle Registry to get your Learner Car Licence, you must:
  • successfully complete an eye test;
  • provide the passed ACT Road Rules Knowledge Test certificate (unless you hold a current Driver Licence); and
  • Proof of identity, residency and age.  
When you have successfully completed the Rider Training course you must then attend a Canberra Connect shopfront to have your Driver Licence endorsed with the Learner Rider class. You must bring:
  • ACT photographic Driver Licence; and
  • provide the passed Motorcycle Rider Training course certificate; 
  • a fee may be charged for this transaction.
Motorcycle learner riders must:
  • display "L" plates at the rear of the motorcycle;
  • not carry a pillion passenger;
  • not ride a motorcycle with a power to weight ratio exceeding 150 kw/tonne;
  • not have a blood alcohol content exceeding .02%;
  • not tow a trailer; and
  • not exceed posted speed limits.
Learner Motorcycle Licences are valid for two years. You must be at least 17 years old and have held a Learner Licence for at least three months before you can obtain a Provisional Licence.

You may apply for an R-N (moped) learner's permit at the age of 15 years and 6 months, or an R-E learner's permit at 16 years of age.
If you already hold any class of WA driver's licence (other than a learner's permit), this automatically covers you to ride a moped.
You can apply for an R class learner's permit once you hold a full R-E class licence (not provisional). However, you cannot sit the practical test for the R class until you have held your full R-E licence for at least one year.
Once you have your learner's permit, you can have riding lessons with:
  • a licensed riding instructor who holds the same or higher class of motorcycle licence for which you are applying; or
  • a person who holds a current driver's licence and has held for at least four years the class of driver's licence (or higher) that you are applying for;
  • or in the case of a moped, a person who has held an R-N, R or C class for at least two years.
Your tutor must accompany you at all times either as a pillion passenger, in a sidecar or on another motorcycle. If you are applying for an R-E class, you must always ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity that does not exceed 250cc.

You will need to sit the motorcycle theory test if you are applying for an R-E class. This test is not required for the R-N or R class. This test consists of 15 multiple-choice questions on road rules that relate to motorcycles. You have to get 12 or more correct to pass. You can prepare for this test by reading the relevant sections of the Drive Safe book. You can download the book in pdf or audio format or get a copy from any Licensing centre and agent.

You may also be required to sit the road rules theory test. This is a test of 30 multiple choice questions on the road rules and safe driving practices. You will need to get 24 or more correct to pass. You will be required to sit this test only if you are applying for an R-N (moped) or R-E learner’s permit and these are the first licence classes that you have applied for.


If you are planning to learn to ride a motorcycle, you will need to attend RiderSafe training courses. You will also need to ride a learner approved motorcycle.

To enrol in a RiderSafe basic training course you must have a current driver’s licence. If you do not have a current driver’s licence, you must first pass a theory test.
You can make a booking for the RiderSafe course and pay the course fee at any Service SA customer service centre.
After successfully completing the RiderSafe basic course, present the endorsed form at any Service SA customer service centre to apply for a learner’s permit.
The permit is valid for two years and you must carry it at all times whilst riding.
You must complete the RiderSafe advanced training course within two years.

It is recommended that you have your learner’s permit for a minimum of six months before you undertake the advanced training course.
You can make a booking for the RiderSafe advanced course and pay the course fee at any Service SA customer service centre.

After successful completing the RiderSafe advanced course, present your certificate of competency at any Service SA customer service centre to apply for a R-Date licence.

If you hold a driver’s licence, the R-date motorcycle class will be added to it.

If you do not hold a licence, but have held a learner's permit for a period totalling at least six calendar months and you are at least 16 years and six months of age, you can apply for a provisional licence. You must have a South Australian driver’s licence endorsed with a motorbike class in order to ride a motorbike. This licence is restricted to riding a learner approved motorcycle.

After riding on a restricted R-Date licence for 12 months, you may apply for an unrestricted R-class licence. This licence enables you to ride a motorcycle of any power to weight ratio.

Motorcycle learner licences are valid for 12 months and must be held for a continuous period of at least 6 months before applying for a motorcycle provisional licence. Learner licences will be issued or reissued on the successful completion of the pre-learner motorcycle training course and passing the motorcycle driver knowledge test.

To learn to ride a motorcycleC you must be at least:
  • 16 years and 5 months  to attend the pre-learner motorcycle training course
  • 16 years and 5 months to sit the motorcycle driver knowledge test
  • 16 years and 6 months to hold a motorcycle learner licence
To obtain a motorcycle learner permit you are required to successfully complete the pre-learner motorcycle training course prior to obtaining a learner licence unless living on King, Flinders or Cape Barren Islands.
And undertake a knowledge test (35 multiple choice questions)

Motorcycle learner riders must obey the following requirements:
  • "L" plate displayed and clearly visible on the back of the motorcycle
  • no pillion passenger can be carried unless the learner is under instruction and the instructor has held a licence to drive a motorcycle for at least 3 years
  • no alcohol present in the body while driving
  • must not exceed 80 km/h per hour
  • restricted to Learners Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) motorcycles.
LA Category Information
. LA Category is a special vehicle classification for scooters of less than 50cc provided under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.
LA Category scooters pass different requirements for brakes, lights, speedometer and noise.  They are restricted to 50 km/h in ALL states and are NOT tested for safe operation at higher speeds.
QLD, SA, NT & WA:- LA Category scooters may be ridden by holders of a car license with no additional 2 wheel training or special driving licensing requirements.
ACT, NSW, TAS & VIC:- LA Category scooters can only be ridden after conducting training and passing the appropriate motorcycle test (see your dealer for more information).
It is a federal offence for a motorcycle dealer to sell an LA category scooter for road use in a derestricted form.  Under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989, the dealer may be fined up to $13,700 per vehicle.
The peak scooter industry body, the Australia Scooter Federation (ASF), requests that all LA category scooter owners respect the law and maintain their scooters in a restricted form.

© Select Scoota 2010 | Privacy | Conditions Of Use | Contact